Title: Library Clerk
Reports to: Library Director (or to Senior Library Clerk in Director’s absence)
HOURS: January, February & March – 23.5 hours per week
April thru December – 11.5 hours per week
$11 per hour
Age Requirement – must be over 21 years of age.
General description of duties:
You are often the first person that our customers meet when they enter the building so…wear a smile! This position involves performing library clerical duties necessary for the proper organization and distribution of library materials. No prior knowledge of library procedures is required; on the job training is provided. Work is performed under the supervision of the senior clerk or library director. The Library Clerk must be agreeable to a flexible schedule to accommodate staff workshops, vacations and sickness.
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities:
Basic knowledge of standard clerical procedures including operation of a computer and other office equipment is needed. Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions. Physical ability to carry 25 lbs., flexibility to bend and reach from 6 inches to 6 feet; adequate hearing to respond to library patrons; tact and courtesy in dealing with other staff and the public.
- Understand, support and implement library policy and procedures.
- Project a positive image of the library, with concern focused on providing good service.
- Work smoothly and cooperatively with the public and staff, using courtesy, tact and good communication skills.
- Carry out duties using initiative and attention to detail by illustrating enthusiasm, consistent good judgment, accuracy, economy of time, neatness and dependability.
- Make suggestions on how to improve service.
Description of duties:
- Assist in automated catalog maintenance, making updates and changes to the database as needed.
- Create material records in the automated catalog.
- Catalog books, movies, magazines, audiobooks and other library materials.
- Create a list of “new” adult books.
- Perform routine repairs on books and other holdings.
- Process hold requests.
- Process incoming delivery.
- Assist with library program preparation and implementation as directed.
Routine library tasks including but not limited to:
- Assist patrons in finding requested and/or appropriate materials and information.
- Assist patrons with phone requests.
- Perform searches of computer records and electronic databases.
- Provide patron circulation services including charging, renewing, discharging and placing holds on library materials.
- Assure accurate library shelving of books and periodicals by shelf reading and re-shelving, as necessary.
- Issue and renew library cards following established policies.
- Call patrons to deliver messages or information about library materials.
- Provide information to the public on library policies and procedures.
- Assist in the implementation of the summer reading program.
- Attend staff meetings and workshops as scheduled to expand job skills and knowledge.
- Open and close the library and the building responsibly and independently.
- Prepare program publicity flyers and email information to publicity list.
Minimum qualifications: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
Schedule – January, February & March:
Monday – 1:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Tuesday – 1:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Thursday – 1:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Saturday – 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
April – December:
Monday – 1:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Tuesday – 3:00 pm – 8:00 pm