Library Director Job Description
The director is the Chief Operating Officer of the library with administrative responsibility for implementing library policy, supporting the library’s facility and budget, and completing the goals and objectives set forth in the Honeoye Public Library Long Range Plan.
The director performs professional and administrative duties in planning, developing, implementing and directing public library services for the Honeoye Public Library. These responsibilities are varied and include, but are not limited to, budget preparation, evaluations, personnel, collection development, community relations, external partnerships, technology infrastructure, strategic planning, and facility maintenance. This position provides leadership in library serves and is responsible for the day to day management within.
- Creates a welcoming and inviting space for our diverse patrons.
- Works with the board to secure appropriate funding through budget allocations, grants, and donations.
- Presents director’s reports and relevant information at monthly board meetings.
- Supervises staff and volunteers, ensuring a high level of service to the community.
- Develops policies, procedures, annual budget, and other essential documents with the library board.
- Maintains and manages the library building and grounds on a day-to-day basis as well as secures construction aid and other grants to support the future of the building.
- Oversees and develops programs and services to address the needs of the community.
- Provides technology support and instruction to library computer users.
- Actively participates in the Pioneer Library System community and attends professional development training sessions and meetings.
- Purchases and maintains a relevant and appealing popular reading and viewing collections for adults, teens, and children.
Essential Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle personnel issues and patron complaints.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and problem solving skills.
- Commitment to providing high-quality service in an ever-changing library environment, including familiarity with emerging technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in managing library personnel and budgets.
- Strong commitment to community relations.
- Knowledge of library current library trends and developments in the library field.
- Perform computer functions appropriate to library services.
- Frequently moves materials and equipment weighing up to 25 pounds across the library.
Education and Experience:
- Two academic years of study at an approved college or university.
- Relevant library experience preferred.